Using a deep conditioner is probably the #1 most important thing you can do for your hair, especially as a fine-haired chica. Deep conditioners feed the strands, protecting and preventing damage from the elements. Since we fine-haired gals don't have as many cuticle layers as our coarse-haired counterparts, we need all the supplementation we can get.
I personally deep condition my hair once a week, faithfully. Typically I apply deep conditioner to damp hair in small sections, making sure that all my hair is covered (esp. the ends), cover my hair with a plastic cap and sit under the hooded dryer for 15-20 min on medium heat. If I want to let the conditioner sit longer, I do so, but not under the heat source. I find that DC-ing under heat longer than 20 min can over-swell the the hair shaft to quickly, doing more harm than good. Afterwards, I rinse the conditioner out well, then proceed to styling.
Make sure that the conditioner you use to deep condition has ingredients that can actually penetrate the strands. Don't cut corners here, ladies! VO5, and Suave are NOT deep conditioners!
Some popular DCs are: Paul Mitchell Super-charged, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, Joico K-pak Intense Hydrator, Pantene Women of Color Breakage Defense Mask, and Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus (cheapie but a goodie!)
Tuesday, December 25, 2007
Deep Conditioning
Labels:
hair articles,
products
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment